1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. 1st time

1st time Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2015
    Virigina
    This will be my first winter raising chickens and ducks. They were hatched May 2015. I have had my girls on the layer food and scratch. I have also started giving them some crack corn. I think only 2 or 3 out of 7 is still giving me eggs because I will get maybe 2 or 3 eggs a day from my chickens. I was wondering if I should feed they something other than layer feed over the winter. I live in Richmond VA.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    No it is more likely due to the season, fewer daylight hours, then your feed. Give them a few weeks, once the days get longer your hens should start laying again.
    If you really want them laying, add a light on a timer and make it so they are at least 12 hours in the light.

1 person likes this.
  3. 1st time

1st time Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2015
    Virigina
    Maybe i explained it wrong. I know the decreasebin eggs is due to lack of daylight but was wondering if they need a different type of food for the cold months.

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I add oyster shells, you can buy at any feed store. This gives added calcium, something they can lack in the winter months. I also add corn, for some extra fat.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by