FEED?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mikka, Feb 20, 2017.

1. mikka

mikka Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    I am hatching less than 4 chicks and keeping them for a short 2-3 weeks. I heard blended whole grain cereal can supply for food but I want to be sure.

So is whole grain cereal ok or is there a cheap quick option that is better?

Super new so I want to do it right.

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and Welcome to BYC!

If you can get your hands on some fermented chick starter i highly suggest you use it. You cant go wrong with fermented chicken feed.

You might want to check out this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1153952/topic-of-the-week-raising-chicks/20
    Scroll down to where i posted and take a look at the Garlic and Honey water. Many other people have great responses so its worth looking at them.

Good luck!

-Mustang

3. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    I don't know about whole grain cereal, but chick starter is like $7.00 for 25 lb.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If you have a tractor supply store near you, they sell small bags of chick starter

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Whole grain cereal will give you chicks that are seriously lacking in protein, as well as essential nutrients, setting them up for life long deficiencies. Best to spend the money to buy chick starter.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by