Feed

R20

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2022
New to chickens and a bit confused about feeding! Everyone does it differently, Hence the confusion. Our flock of 6 arrives i a week. What is a good economical feed for my chickens? Don’t want to go cheap-cheap but don’t want to break the bank. They won’t free range much if they destroy gardens, flower beds, dogs and cats chase them.

New to chickens and a bit confused about feeding! Everyone does it differently, Hence the confusion. Our flock of 6 arrives i a week. What is a good economical feed for my chickens? Don’t want to go cheap-cheap but don’t want to break the bank. They won’t free range much if they destroy gardens, flower beds, dogs and cats chase them.
Go to your local feed store and buy chick crumbles sometimes sold as chick starter.

Do not buy scratch and do not buy layer pellets or a layer type feed.

My new chickens are 2 year old adults.
Well that does make a difference. Layer feed is for layers, that is to say, hrns that are actively laying. If you have a mixed flock of different genders; if some are too young or too old to lay, or they go into molt, those birds don't need calcium and it can negatively affect their livers. Some recommend feeding an all-flock formula and just providing oyster shell in a separate feeder. Those birds that require it will free-feed it as needed.

Back
Top Bottom