feed

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MCM37, Nov 15, 2010.

1. MCM37

MCM37 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    what do you feed y our quail whrn they mature and get ready to breed? i feed the 28% protein chick starter as babies but not sure if i can keep feeding this or need to change.

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I just buy gamebird food for them but I found out it doesnt have enough protein so im getting them turkey starter.I also like to feed them scrambled eggs once in a while and leafy stuff too,they go crazy for millet and im learning on how to grow it becouse its so expensive at the store.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i feed gamebird starter from southern states...it's a good protein and they like it and i don't switch it out when the babies are adults
    is turkey starter medicated? i don't think quail are supposed to be fed medicated feed...[​IMG]

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Your right your not suppose to feed medicated feed to them but I buy non-medicated fee for them.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Unmedicated Gamebird Crumbles. There are many brands out there. Some people like Purina, other Manna Pro. There is one more I forgot [​IMG] But for adult, I think that is what you are asking, I feed Manna Pro with a mixture of ground up oyster shell for added calcium.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I feed Purina Gamebird Startena to the breeders and add finely Crushed Oyster shell and dried crushed egg shells to their Sandbox along with other things. I am trying it.
    Calcium was added to their sandbox at 5 weeks old.
    My 5 week olds are the first hatch to be on an exclusive feed now that I have a new source for ordering feed when I want it. Low and behold it actually comes in before I need it.
    I have in the past used a different Gamebird grower feeds, so I am testing and we'll see. If I don't like what I see, I will use the Startena for the first 4 weeks and switch to the other at week 5, like before. Weeks six and seven will be the telling points for me.

edited to specify gamebird so there is no misunderstanding. And thanks for reminding me. I had to order for a 23rd delivery to pick up. I was going to just order #500, but deal said, nay he orders every week, so I might as well get it as I need it and get it fresh. I'm loving this service with a smile.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Unmedicated Gamebird Starter 30% Is All They Get Here From "hatch To Dispatch"- Whenever That May Be...

8. Imapsychowhoa

Imapsychowhoa Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    I feed my button quail non medicated gamebird starter, finch food and cracked corn with a small dish of either egg, apple, broccoli or cucumber.

9. MCM37

MCM37 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2010
    ok thank you all. i feed the starter which is 28% and they get turnip leaves and lettuce and im going to start pumpkin seed. thank you all.

10. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    If you're using the starter, don't forget the oyster shell for calcium...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by