feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stillmecle, Aug 28, 2011.

1. stillmecle

stillmecle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    Should I feed my ducks special food if I want them to lay eggs?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    How old are they? Once fully mature (around 5-6 months), they should be fed a good quality laying pellet such as Purina Layena. Good luck!

3. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Welcome! I have two dog dishes for my girls. One has oyster shell in it at all times. I give the girls different types of feed because I have many other bird. They love layer pellets and game bird layer blend crumbles. But they eat grower finisher and layer crumbles too. And I give them some treats every so often, figs, grapes, minced apple, lettuces, greens, etc. They are penned to free range in my fruit tree and veggie garden so they get plenty of other forage.

4. stillmecle

stillmecle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    they are almost 4 months. the Roeon keeps trying to do it with them but I dont think he has gotten the job done yet . the roeon is about one year or so, my granddaughter got bored with him. then I got what was suppose to be muscovey baby girls. I am told that one is a Buff and the other a blue sweedish, they are suppose to be sisters.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    At four months, they are still too young to be laying eggs. I would keep them on a growing out feed for another month, and then switch to laying feed. They may start laying between 5 and 6 months, or they may wait till Spring to start. If you really want them to lay this fall, you can add supplemental light.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by