Feed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rememberthedeer, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Rememberthedeer

Rememberthedeer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    What would be the best thing to feed Pekin ducks? I have a single male, when I bought him I thought he was female so I'd buy him the egg laying formula. That's what I continue to feed him but I want to switch him to a more substantial diet (especially with winter coming soon) he eats a LOT of the egg formula, so I assume it's a pretty light food. What is something that I can feed him that contains more calories and will be more filling and fattening for him?

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Poultry egg layer food is perfectly fine for ducks of either sex. They do make special waterfowl food, but really the only difference is the way it is cooked so that it floats on the water and doesn't differ much nutritionally. I personally would not spend the extra money on it for one duck.

Ducks tend to be pigs when they eat and they will eat quite a bit. For a pekin duck, a handful or two of feed twice a day is more than sufficient, so don't worry about how much he is eating unless he is visibly skinny. For winter, you can mix in a bit of cracked corn, but I honestly do no think it is necessary.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  3. Rememberthedeer

Rememberthedeer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Ok, thanks for your help. =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by