Feedback on Learning Center "Treats Chart"

Pics
the seed of the cherry is extremely toxic (but they will usually not swallow it in my observations however it can happen accidently)... the wild cherry is toxic. Mulberries are fine.

Thanks. They are pie cherries but I will fence around the tree so they can't get to it and accidentally eat the seeds. I figured mulberries were fine:) Just wanted to check. Guess I could have used google.

Upon reading through this thread, It looks like general treats should wait till chicks are a few weeks old but live culture yogurt can be offered right away to young chicks.

How many treats are too many? I just noticed that I shouldn't feed scratch on hot days since it raises the body temps. Laying mash is available 24/7. I give treats 2 times a day. Sometimes it's just grass and others a mix of what we are eating (kitchen scraps). They always finish the treats. I can't free range because of the "free range" dogs. I have 9 hens in the run. How much more, other than the laying mash, should I offer them?

What about putting a compost pile at one end of the run for the roost poop and putting red wrigglers in it? The poop breaks down to castings quickly and the worms reproduce quickly and would be good snacks.

I just wanted to note that I was enjoying some grilled eggplant and yellow zucchini on my deck this afternoon and the hens came over and started bugging me, so I gave them some, which they loved. They won't touch raw zucchini at all, but grilled, with a splash of balsamic vinegar, they devoured. Also, they enjoyed all of the grilled eggplant (also with balsamic) except for the skin.

Oh, also: I tied a pork chop bone to their fence so they could peck away at it, amusing themselves. I used to be a little creeped out by the whole chickens-eating-meat aspect, but I used free-range, organic pork that was cooked well done so I'm not that worried re: weird diseases... They loved it!

Back
Top Bottom