Feedback on run....to roof or not?

Rachela

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Finishing up coop and starting run....finally.
Living in Wisconsin I’d like to do a roof but the pitch would mean losing stand up space in the run on the back.

1. Create a shallower pitch so can stand up and invest in a snow rake?

2. Don’t roof at all as we had rain last night and it hasn’t been real muddy...although I’m sure chicken digging will change that soon.

Attachments

• 8E62A09D-F978-4C80-82A4-5230671313DE.jpeg
    8E62A09D-F978-4C80-82A4-5230671313DE.jpeg
    750.5 KB · Views: 18
Hello neighbor. I suggest a roof. What are your plans during winter? Sometimes birds need to stay locked up for days because of snow or cold here. We added a roof to my bantam run a few years back and now we put up clear panels on the run sides in winter to keep the snow out and to give them more room in winter. Otherwise my back was killing me from shoveling snow out every storm.

Knowing your long term plans and husbandry can help you decide what's best for your situation.

Hello neighbor. I suggest a roof. What are your plans during winter? Sometimes birds need to stay locked up for days because of snow or cold here. We added a roof to my bantam run a few years back and now we put up clear panels on the run sides in winter to keep the snow out and to give them more room in winter. Otherwise my back was killing me from shoveling snow out every storm.

Knowing your long term plans and husbandry can help you decide what's best for your situation.
Hi there! Thank you for the feedback. What kind of pitch did you do on the run?

I also live where there is cold weather and snow. For the first few years I used a tarp on top of the run. It worked, but not well. Pockets of water would develop. Snow had to be taken off. So a year a half ago I had the run roofed. So much nicer in winter. Don't have to worry about their food getting wet. The chickens are outside in the run all day no matter what the weather. With vinyl shower curtains on 3 sides of the run it is a great place for them to hang out all winter and actually feels warmer than outside.

I also live where there is cold weather and snow. For the first few years I used a tarp on top of the run. It worked, but not well. Pockets of water would develop. Snow had to be taken off. So a year a half ago I had the run roofed. So much nicer in winter. Don't have to worry about their food getting wet. The chickens are outside in the run all day no matter what the weather. With vinyl shower curtains on 3 sides of the run it is a great place for them to hang out all winter and actually feels warmer than outside.
Hi there! This is great to know I think I’m convinced to roof it. I’d rather have less issues in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom