Feeder/water inside vs. outside

Downshifting

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 16, 2010
Raleigh, NC
The coop I'm planning will have a covered run as well as an enclosed henhouse. What are the pros/cons of putting the feeder and waterer outside (under the covered run) vs. inside the henhouse. I've seen it done both ways and just wondering about the thought process behind both.

Thanks!

Don't leave the feed outside at night, it will attract nasties. As long as it is under the coop enough to keep dry, you should be OK during the day. I have one under the coop that is locked up in the horse barn at night, and one that stays in the coop all the time. I also keep water in the coop at all times, then if I get a little lazy in the morning, I know they have water and at least some feed till I get out there.

I have mine in both locations but I clean up the run so nothing is left overnight and the containers can air out. By having two in the daytime, I know that if one gets fouled, everything is all right. In fact all I use for water outside is a rubber stock bowl, which doubles as a wading pool on extremely hot days.

Well, with food in the run, the chickens drop the food and then it does get stinky. Even a covered run can have some wetness get in. So that's why food inside is a bit better.

Same thing with water, I believe. If you have a good waterer, and you don't have to worry about spills, then keep it inside. Now, alot of people keep the water outside in the summer months, then inside in the fall/winter because it doesn't freeze as quickly as if it was outside.

In my old (experimental) coop, I had food and water in the run, and I personally like to have it inside better. Just my humble opinion!

Good luck with your design!
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom