Feeder & Waterer Inside or Outside Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DawnS, Apr 2, 2012.

1. DawnS

DawnS Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    NE Indiana
    My "seven little dwarfettes" are almost a month old now, so DH & I are making the final modifications to their new coop. When we started, I just assumed the feeder and waterer would go inside the coop. But, while severely bored at work today (everyday occurrence) I ran across an article on the My Pet Chicken site that it is completely acceptable to have both ONLY on the outside of the coop. It roughly explained that all the hens go into the house for is to sleep or lay eggs and they do not get up in the night or at any time (unless when broody, on occasion) to eat or drink. Also, it explained that devising it this way made inside clean-up easier as the hens don't linger inside once they wake and you get them out into their run.

What are your thoughts? Anyone set-up this way and know any major problems that can arise? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've seen lots of pics here doing it both ways. If the feed is outside, it needs to be completely protected from weather, like rain blowing on it. If it's inside, it's more likely to attract mice. Some people even remove the feed entirely to prevent mice getting into it.

It's true they don't need food or water at night -- but they get up very early, hungry and thirsty. I'm lazy -- I keep them in the coop. I also have some rat poison in the coop, the kind that affects a chicken who eats a poisoned mouse little if at all (bromadiolone.) Obviously, the chickens can't get at the rat poison. Works fine. I used to see some mice in there now and then when I went out at night, though never a lot, or big ones. None since putting the poison out.

3. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Inside, it might get wet outside.

4. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    We have a raised coop, so we hang our feeder and water under the coop. Works great and keeps the weather out.

5. DawnS

DawnS Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Thank you all! Good point on not getting up early...that's not a trait I possess, either, so that & the fact my husband travels alot for work now may be the deciding factor to keep it in the coop. But I sure like the idea of outside. Our coop is covered & raised, so I think I could find a dry spot for the feeder. I thought about putting one of those clay disks in the feeder (like they make for brown sugar) absorb humidity moisture, too. Just an idea.

Thanks again everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by