1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeders and waterers for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dansdeals3489, Apr 6, 2008.

1. dansdeals3489

dansdeals3489 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Mogadore, Ohio
    I have 2 3 week old ducks and will be moving them outside in their new home in a month or so. What should I use for a feeder and waterer for them outside?

2. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    When our pekin ducks were 3 weeks old we went to 1 gallon plastic ice cream containers for both water and feed.

it was deep enough so they could wash out their noestrils. it is so funny to watch them dunk their heads and blow bubbles.

Our ducks are almost a year and still feed them out of the 1 gal buckets, but purchased 3 gal rubber tubs for the water, with a piece of folded 2x4 wire over it so they dont wade (and poop) in the water.

Chicken feeders dont work well because they scoopp their food rather than peck.

3. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I found out the chicken water's dont work well either. I bought the dog food waters. It's deep enough to clean their nares , it holds 3 gallons and they cant swim in them [​IMG] The dog feeders work well too. I think they hold 5 lbs. I bought 1 for my chickens,too. Works great for them if you put it up on cynder blocks. And they are cheaper then the chicken feeders.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Whatever you go with, be very careful. I have had more ducks and geese drown than lost to anything else. At that age, if they get wet they are too heavy to float and will quickly die. So, whatever you use, make sure it's no deeper than they are tall... and better yet, put bricks in it for them to stand on in case they get in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by