feeders in run AND inside coop?

katkitsch

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Hi peeps,
My chicks range between 5 and 9 weeks of age. Do I put feeder / water out in the run all day and leave them out at night? And do I need a separate feeder waterer for inside the coop?
Please comment ASAP.
Thanks!
Kat

I keep feed in the coop to protect it from the weather. I keep water in the run to avoid messy spills in the coop. The chickens know where each one is. During the day while they are foraging, they will return to the coop to eat feed and lay eggs.

They are pretty good at remembering where the food, water, nest, and roost are located.

Chris

I was originally going to just leave the feed and water out in the run...but then I decided the girls might want a midnight snack or sip. Since I only have two, they don't need much. I put a small quart size feeder and waterer in their coop on a couple bricks, and they do seem to pick at it although I'm not sure how often...and it's probably in the morning when I sleep in and don't let them out super early, I can't imagine they walk around in the dark lol

Water is important to any animal , keeping water in the run and in the coop is a good idea ! We keep feed in the coop and feed table scraps in the run that way they can eat and drink were ever they find it. Hope this helps . Happy farming

I am assuming this is if you lock them in the coop at night? Mine have access to the coop/run any time...

Mine have their feeder and waterer inside the coop, have a bowl of water in their run and get treats in the run (weeds, veggies, table scraps, etc)

Mine have a gallon waterer both inside the coop and out in the run, they get locked up at night. I fill their smaller sized feeder in the coop at night, they usually don't get let out until a few hours after sunrise and I always give them a quart and a half of feed outside in the morning so it's gone before they go in for the night.

Back
Top Bottom