Feeders

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eggybritches, Oct 9, 2009.

1. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    What kind of feeders do you use for your adult and baby ducks?

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I just use an old plastic square basin. I used to use a refrigerator drawer. I am not real fancy here and like to recycle. [​IMG]

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    So I don't have to buy a fancy kind of feeder at the store?

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Nah, ducks just need something they can get their big bills into to shovel out the food.

5. Quote:Ya, I'm using an old heavy cooking pot that the handle broke off of. It works.

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have an old pot setting on the sidewalk for them to drink of during the day, and an old skillet that I use for feeding. Of course, I also have a rubber container of water in the pen for dipping, and an actual feeder too. Just use whatever you have that is safe for them.

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I use a Kuhl 50# range feeder. It keep feed dry and I get no waste. I figure in eliminating wasted feed it soon pay for its elf.

8. SquirrelGirl

SquirrelGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    I use a flower pot for the feed and a big cooking pot for the water! Works great [​IMG]

9. I put the feed pot on the cover of a plastic storage bin to catch dropped feed so it doesn't fall on the ground and mold. I pick this up every night and take it into the garage so it doesn't attrack predators.
    I put the pot and storage bin "tray" underneath an old painted coffee table to keep the rain and snow out of the feed. I put an old plastic skateboard ramp on top of the table that keeps it all waterproof.
    In the winter I put all this on top of a low makeshift table to raise it above snow level and put up a ramp with shelf liner on it so the ducks can get up to their food.
    Except for shelf liner it was all put together from used items.

ETA Photo of setup before addition of second story with ramp:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by