Feedin Chickens kitchen scraps

Becaco

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
I think I read somewhere that you can't feed chickens gassy type veggies, like beans.

I was wondering about broccoli. If ok, raw or cooked.

We have been getting a box of scrap veggies from the commissary each week. It is mostly lettuce scraps, but it does include other stuff. This week it was a bunch of broccoli.

If I can't feed it to the chickens I can chop it up and put in the compost.

Check out the sticky about chicken treats, it lists everything you can think of, what form it should be, and also some don'ts as well. Broccoli is fine, cooked beans are fine if not seasoned (salty). Have fun spoiling your feathered kids.

well if you cant feed them those veggies i might be in trouble, lol ive givin mine broccli and beans once in a blue moon. htey are fine but im not a pro

Thanks a bunch.

I saved the chart in my favorites. I'll go back read the whole 13 pages on the Treat Thread when I have more time.

I give my birds treats of scratch, (oats, sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. I have never had a problem with their egg production. Here is the link to BYC Chicken Treat Chart. https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

I printed the list of chicken treats here at BYC and put it in my cookbook. Anytime I wonder if they could have it I just take a second and look. I also keep a container in my fridge labeled Chicken treats! When it is full they get their buffet!
tongue.png

Ours get table scraps, left overs, plant prunings, cheese rinds, and the contents of forgotten tupperware from the back of the fridge. So far so good!

Chickens eat about anything,lol.
What I have heard is that what is good and bad for you is good/bad for the chickens as well.

Back
Top Bottom