Feeding a Mixed Flock. Questions!

I really like this thread.

I can't believe that the 19% or so protein in starter or grower would be a problem for laying hens. I understand the calcium and kidney problem for chicks, but have no idea at what age that ceases to be a problem. And I would love to know whether someone actually knows whether baby chicks will leave oyster shell alone or eat it and get into trouble. I'd also love to know at what point the thiamine blocking action of amprolium could actually cause a layer or rooster a problem.

Sounds like a good research project for someone to me, unless someone actually knows these answers.

You can just grind up corn/wheat in crumbles and feed it to the whole flock. Like a scratch feed only grinded up small enough for the babies

Here are my two cents:
From what I have been told, high protien for layers is not a problem but there is something, not sure what, in layer feed that can cause the younger chicks (less than 18 weeks) harm to their reproductive tract. Now I could be wrong. I know I have heard of folks feeding their laying hens a laying feed of 22%. I have a pen, along with coop, that all my laying chickens are in. I have another pen that has some mixed-aged chickens, the youngest being about 4 months old and the oldest being about 1 year. I feed them Purina Flockraiser and I have been for about 2 months with no problems. I'm also intrested to hear from someone who is more of an expert.
pop.gif

Quote:
What I have read here several times is that chicks cannot handle the calcium in layer feed as it damages their kidneys. If so, still want to know at what age they are safe from this.

Back
Top Bottom