Feeding a mixed flock--various ages, free ranging

aoxa,
Right know I'm feeding
[COLOR=B22222]Chicks up to 6 weeks of age
-- Turkey Starter (30%), [/COLOR]
[COLOR=B22222]Growing Birds from 6 weeks of age to Laying -- 50.5% Five Grain Scratch 40.5% Turkey Starter (it's about a 16% feed)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=B22222]Breeders -- 50.5% Turkey Starter, 30.5% Five Grain Scratch and 10% Alfalfa Meal (it's about a 19% feed)[/COLOR]

Layers and Breeders have a mixture of Calcium Carbonate and Oyster Shells available to them.
Breeders get there feed topped with Instant Dry Milk and a little Cod Liver Oil for added Vitamin A, D, B2 (Riboflavin) and Fatty Acids for improved egg production and hatch-ability.

The Turkey Starter I am using on the chicks, growing birds and breeders is Honor Show Chow put out by Purina.
This feed contains Animal Fat and Fish Meal but also contains Amprolium and BMD.

I'm not a fan of the Purina Start and Grow, Flock Raiser, or Layena to me there junk feeds but
if you get Purina's show line of feed and from what I can see so far it isn't a bad feed.
Now only time will tell what I think about it after this season.
I will forewarn you that the Turkey starter is not cheep. I pay right around 20.00 for a 50 lb bag but
it has Animal Fat and Proteins, BMD, Amprolium and is a 30% protein.

[COLOR=B22222]Laying Hens
-- 50% Five Grain Scratch, 40% Turkey Starter (non-medicated) and 10% Alfalfa Meal (it's about a 16% feed)[/COLOR]

Now it I was to feed one feed with out mixing I would go back to Buckeye Nutrition and use there 18% Miracle Starter-Grower.
The 18% Miracle Starter-Grower is a good feed that contains animal proteins and fats it's just that I hated driving 30 miles out of my way to the plant where they make it to get what I needed.

Chris
I don't get anything purina it is a feed mill I buy from Co-Op Atlantic. It's about $16 for a 50# bag for grower as well as medicated starter. I have been told various things from different people in my area, but in all actuality, grower can't be worse for the layers than the layer is for the juvenile birds right? Thank you for all the detail! I just can't separate everyone during the day. We do not pen them up except at night and sleep in different parts of our barn. I want to make things as simple as possible right now. The feed store does not have anything specifically formulated for breeders. Is that bad? Next spring I will be separating in breeding pens while I'm hatching.

I don't get anything purina it is a feed mill I buy from Co-Op Atlantic. It's about $16 for a 50# bag for grower as well as medicated starter. I have been told various things from different people in my area, but in all actuality, grower can't be worse for the layers than the layer is for the juvenile birds right?
Thank you for all the detail! I just can't separate everyone during the day. We do not pen them up except at night and sleep in different parts of our barn. I want to make things as simple as possible right now. The feed store does not have anything specifically formulated for breeders. Is that bad? Next spring I will be separating in breeding pens while I'm hatching.

Quote: Correct a grower type feed would a lot better for juvenile birds.

Quote: It's not bad, there are a lot of people I know that just use a good Starter/Grower for everything. I like to add what I do just to help out in the long run.

Chris

Hi All! I came on to ask if I could keep every chick, pullet, hen, rooster on the grower feed forever since they seem to love it and the hens eat it better than their layer. I read everything and have my answer :) thanks. I do have oystershell free choice.

Back
Top Bottom