Feeding a Mixed Flock

ascott11

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
I currently have hens and roosters in my flock and am feeding them the Purina layena crumbles. I know the added calcium is awful for the roosters but I have no clue if my hens will know to eat oyster shell if I switch to a feed without the extra calcium. Thoughts? What’s the best feed for both Roos and hens?

What are your plans with your flock?
Did you plan on keeping your rooster until he dies?
Do you plan on eating him soon?
Do you plan on hatching eggs that he fertilizes?

I plan on keeping him until he passes. I don’t plan to hatch the eggs either...I have him to keep the girls safe from predators when they are free ranging. And also because I love him so much!

What are your plans with your flock?
Did you plan on keeping your rooster until he dies?
Do you plan on eating him soon?
Do you plan on hatching eggs that he fertilizes?
Hi! Curious would hatching eggs that he fertilizes add a different component of what to feed in this situation? I'll be adding a rooster to my flock soon once he's big enough to fertilize my hens eggs for breeding.

What if the hens get really excited about the oyster shell and eat a bunch? One of my hens is gobbling it up. I took the dish away, but I know they need some calcium

The hens will eat what they need. I have a flock with a rooster as well. The rooster is there to keep the ladies safe. I have no plans to raise his young as they would be barnyard mixes. The girls eat the oyster shells as they desire. Chickens are much better at eating what they need and not what they don’t than humans.

What if the hens get really excited about the oyster shell and eat a bunch? One of my hens is gobbling it up. I took the dish away, but I know they need some calcium
Are your hens young, just starting to lay?, or close to laying. My Pullets overindulge in Oyster Shells for 2 to 3 days, when I put out a container after 15 weeks old.
If not, do they have Poultry Grit available? I put out a container of Poultry Grit at 7 weeks of age. GC

Are your hens young, just starting to lay?, or close to laying. My Pullets overindulge in Oyster Shells for 2 to 3 days, when I put out a container after 15 weeks old.
If not, do they have Poultry Grit available? I put out a container of Poultry Grit at 7 weeks of age. GC
The ones gobbling are all 1-2 yo, and we just added babies (7-8wk) to the yard. So everyone is now eating FlockRaiser. Their yard is filled with gravel and dirt, and they free range on a field with lots of trees and bushes. Maybe its just the novelty, but I'll put the dish back out with them.

Back
Top Bottom