Feeding Adult ducks homestead chicken layer feed

Kaitlyn266

Hatching
Dec 18, 2023
I currently work at a park that has both chicken and ducks (separated), we have been feeding them all the same Homestead chicken layer feed. I looked at its label and googled but I can't find the amount of niacin in it, otherwise protein wise it seems okay. My knowledge and experience with ducks is very limited. I read somewhere that in adult ducks niacin levels aren't as important. Is this true? Any advice on if this is okay for them or if they absolutely need a change in diet would be much appreciated. Also money is limited there so cost is definitely another concern.

There are all flock feeds that may suit your needs better than layer feed. However I am not a duck person my neighbors have ducks with their chickens and they just give them layer feed and no one complains so it will work however I’ll let someone more experienced answer from a long term standpoint

ducks may do ok for a while but will eventually do not so ok ~ they have nutritional needs ~
for my mixed flock chickens and ducks and geese I feed Nutrena All Flock pellets ~
crushed and flaked oyster shell on the side~
many of us still add more extra niacin by still mixing in nutritional yeast 1 Tb per cup even for adult ducks. (I do this 2x a week now, not every day like when they were babies)

Depending on your breeds of ducks
I have a few bigger ones like pekin and Swedish but also have khaki and anconas
I add nutritional yeast to feed daily in the winter and a few times a week in warmer months
Just sprinkle it on feed
I can’t get duck feed where I am so I use grower / finisher chicken feed for my flock
I have drakes so I don’t use layer feed but I do add crushed oyster shells in a side dish

Back
Top Bottom