Feeding and free ranging thoughts/tips/debunking?

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
Through alot of research on my own part theres alot of things that have completely opposite answers which confuses me. Some say chickens should have food at all times other said twice a day or even smaller meals 3-4 times a day. What does people on here say?

Free ranging. Our property is almost 10 acres not fenced in but its more long than wide. I keep telling my sister in law since the chicken run isn't that big that she should let them free range a couple hours a day but she only does it for 10-15 minutes long enough to feed them peas or corn. How far will a chicken go from the coop? I know their food motivated so im just curious does anyone free range during the day and do you do it supervised or just let them go free and they come back at night?

I leave food and water out for my chickens all day long. They eat and drink freely, but they are not overweight. I've noticed they only eat a small amount at a time and at certain times of the day. I think all-day feeding is especially helpful for those chickens at the bottom of the pecking order; it gives them time to sneak in and grab food while the flock queens aren't looking!

As for free-ranging, if you want the same number of chickens at the end of the day, I suggest only allowing them out under close supervision. It is suitable for them to get out of the run, feasting on bugs and seeds round out their diet (although it isn't necessary), and hunting, pecking, and scratching is good exercise. Even a half-hour outside the run is better than nothing, but it should be supervised.

Even better, buy or build a sturdy chicken tractor that you move around the property. This will protect them from predators such as foxes and hawks while allowing them to hunt and peck in fresh grass.

I have heard too many stories about chickens being killed during unsupervised ranging. It is sad because the deaths could have been avoided if the owners had taken measures to keep their flock safe.

So even the 10-15 minutes they do is still better than nothing? I'm just worried the chickens aren't getting the ammount of food and entertainment they need inside that small run area.

Everyone's preferences, experiences, and situations are different. People have there reasons for using one method over the other, but there is not one way to do it. I personally feed my girls once a day in the morning, because I currently do not have a setup that allows free feeding, and I cannot currently get one. I give them constant access to water, so that they dont get dehydrated. I personally watch my chickens free range for atleast an hour everyday, then put them back into the coop. I have never lost a single bird(well, i have lost two of them, but they just wandered off. We retrieved them later on), and this is what works for us. Also, when i watch them, I set up a chair in the middle of the yard which is covered in shade so that if a predator were to come, I can see them and they can see me. It has stopped many hawks from grabbing my birds. I would love to hear what you decide to do.

Through alot of research on my own part theres alot of things that have completely opposite answers which confuses me. Some say chickens should have food at all times other said twice a day or even smaller meals 3-4 times a day. What does people on here say?
I free feed. I consider the other ways acceptable.
Free ranging. Our property is almost 10 acres not fenced in but its more long than wide. I keep telling my sister in law since the chicken run isn't that big that she should let them free range a couple hours a day but she only does it for 10-15 minutes long enough to feed them peas or corn. How far will a chicken go from the coop? I know their food motivated so im just curious does anyone free range during the day and do you do it supervised or just let them go free and they come back at night?
Mine can go a couple hundred yards during free time, all come back. (Predation excluded)
I was just the manual labor in the DIY buiilding of the coop but i think the run is probably 10-12 ft by maybe 10-14 ft in length.
How many birds?

So even the 10-15 minutes they do is still better than nothing? I'm just worried the chickens aren't getting the ammount of food and entertainment they need inside that small run area.
They don't need any extra food if they are fed a formulated ration, a pile of leaves is good for entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom