Feeding and watering question

Jayme

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 5, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Hello

I am still new to raising chickens

I have been changing out the chickens water (a metal hanging waterer)about once every 3 days is this ok? should I change it out more or can I let it go a little longer?

Also I have been using my new feeder and filling the food almost to the top (it is a metal hanging feeder), the food has been turning to dust after about 4-5 days so I have to shake it all the time to get the good stuff out. Should I be dumping out the food all the way out and putting in fresh food? and if so how often?

Thanks a bunch!
Jayme

sounds good on the water...what kind of feed are you feeding it makes a difference...I only feed what I thin they will eat in a day but many others have feed available all the time and in whatever amount...

It is organic feed I get from my local feed store it has no name it comes in a blank paper bag for 5-6 month old chickens.

Do you think it is better to feed on a day to day basis versus fill it up to the top?

I have that type of feeder and had the same problem with the feed getting clumpy, so I only filled it part of the way, a little each day.
Now that I feed layer pellets I don't have a problem with it clumping, so I fill it pretty full and re-fill only as necessary.

Hey Im Debbie, just wanted to say hi I've got 10 Golden buffs and I love them. I got them in Aug
and never knew chickens could be so much fun! I have a metal waterer and I add clean water
ever day and clean it out once a week, i've had good luck so far.

Hi Debbie nice to meet you-I think I will fill it once a day and clean it once a week and see how it goes-

I have another question I live in Arizona and the heat can get unbearable what can you do to keep the birdies cool with 110+ degree weather? as well as keep the water cool?

Thanks

Quote:
You can add ice cubes to the water a couple times a day. When my chickens were small and confined during the heat of summer I ran a fan on them. I used gallon jugs filled with water and frozen and positioned the fan so that it blew across the jugs.
Now that my chickens free range all day they find nice shady spots to spend the hot afternoons in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom