Feeding Baby Chicks Natural Stuff

I feed day old chicks with mature Meal Worms and when available farm raised crickets of even adult size. The chases they have are the mechanism used to break such items down into smaller pieces. By the time they are a week old that start pecking at tender greens although consumption does not start until about two weeks. At about 2 weeks I have grit available. Consumption rate of greens does not really pick up until chicks become juveniles at about 5 weeks. Tender new growth and seedlings are what I would present. Be careful with added moisture around a brooder as that can set stage for health issues stemming from infections. Brooder best all dry except for waterer.

Centrarchid,

Do you only feed Meal Worms and/or farm raised crickets to day old chicks? Do you supplement with anything else?

Thank you!

No. Most of my chicks are free-range hen-raised where forage is dominated by insect prey. During periods of inclement weather I supplement with chick starter. Brooder reared chicks are fed a complete starter but I do occasionally offer some purchased live meal worms just for fun. I No critters from outside introduced from outside. I also have some broody hens I can call in using meal worms as an enticement and they bring their chicks with them. Makes so birds easier to handle later. Meal worms also important for my birds use as display animals. See link below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407880/ambassadors-for-the-farm

Hi

I am a 1st time poster for the site but it has help me with a lot of chicken problems
So I am looking for help I live in the U.K. So some of the food and thing I can't get over here but I wanted to feed my chick all natural food like wheat oats peas, because I can't get any good non Chemical chick food

Dose anyone have a list for what I can feed then I have starter grow my own wheat for my chicken but need help with chick now

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom