Feeding baby chicks

Jackschicks

Songster
7 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Pearland, Tx
I have raised layer chicks many times before but this is my first time raising meat chickens. I should have 25 Cornish X arriving tomorrow.
I have always fed my layer chicks Nutrena chick crumbles for the first month or so followed by Nutrena 22% gamebird grower until I switch them over to laying pellets at about 6 months of age.

The feed store recommended I start the Cornish X meat birds on 28% gamebird starter/grower.

Question 1 - Is that too much protein?

Question 2 - Can I also feed the higher protein starter grower to my layer chicks?

I have limited options at my feedstore. They seem to have a lot more options for cattle and horse feeds than they do for chickens. I feel certain the answer to my question is probably on this forum somewhere but I can't seem to figure out how to search properly

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I have raised layer chicks many times before but this is my first time raising meat chickens. I should have 25 Cornish X arriving tomorrow.
I have always fed my layer chicks Nutrena chick crumbles for the first month or so followed by Nutrena 22% gamebird grower until I switch them over to laying pellets at about 6 months of age.

The feed store recommended I start the Cornish X meat birds on 28% gamebird starter/grower.

Question 1 - Is that too much protein?

Question 2 - Can I also feed the higher protein starter grower to my layer chicks?

I have limited options at my feedstore. They seem to have a lot more options for cattle and horse feeds than they do for chickens. I feel certain the answer to my question is probably on this forum somewhere but I can't seem to figure out how to search properly

Thanks in advance for the help!!
I am not sure about your predicament, but to search, you just click the search button at the top right of your screen, then type in your search and hit enter.

Back
Top Bottom