feeding baby chicks

Wolfy1972

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
if a mother hen is allowed to hatch and brood the chicks do they still need to be fed chick starter type feed?

Yes. You can let mom and her babies out to range (I let mine out after about a week depending on how cold it is) to forage, but the chicks still need the nutrients/vitamins in the grower so they can properly develop.

Good luck to you!
big_smile.png

im in michigan so i figure it might be wiser to start in the spring since im just starting out and dont know anything about it

How exciting! You're on the road to very rewarding and fun hobby! If you're like me, you'll go from six to twenty six in a year. Like the old saying goes, "Chickens are like potato chips; you can't have just one!" (Or a few!)

Welcome Wolfy1972!

When you start your flock and your chicks have hatched, try this little trick to keep them healthy.
Mix yogurt and their starter crumbles in a bowl until its a chunky and non-wet consistency and feed it to them. This is what I did, quite by accident actually, this year I had a chick hatch a day too early and his body had not yet completely absorbed the yolk. I had to tuck him back into the egg for another day. He came out just fine but when I put him in with the rest of my peeps, he refused to eat and was lethargic so I made up a mash of starter and yogurt and stuck his beak in the food. Within seconds he was eating like crazy! Then all my other peeps discovered this wonderful new food and well, after that I made it daily for them. The yogurt has bacteria they would normally get from ingesting their mother's poop and its made my flock very healthy. They are 7 months now and I still give it to them as a treat. Also, buy some SuperBoost and have it on hand at all times. At the first sign of an ailing bird, no matter what the cause, mix it in water for them. I've had to use it a few times when a bird just started to ail and I had no idea why and its saved their lives. If this happens, ask for advice here too.

Raising these birds becomes addictive and you will really enjoy it. Especially if you sit-in with them in the brooder and later in the coop, you really get to know their personalities.

im in michigan so i figure it might be wiser to start in the spring....
Since Spring is the high season for baby chicks (think Easter eggs colored baby chicks etc) you are already showing that you know something about chicks. Baby chicks, especially free ranging ones are tons more fun as well as cute as a button when you can be out and about with them in nature and laugh at their hijinks. They are also stronger on average and grow off easier in the Spring.

Back
Top Bottom