Feeding . Bottle baby goat ??

22lilchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Virginia
I'm getting a Nigerian dwarf bottle baby, not sure if it's a boy or girl because they are due tomorrow !!! The mom goat has had triplets the last two years in a row. I want to use just a regular human baby bottle but I have a question, the nipples come in different flows slow,medium and fast , which one would be best ?also I'm not using milk replacer I'm using the whole milk formula.

I usually start out with a smaller hole than increase it as they get older and drink more vigorously. What is the whole milk formula, I have used milk replacer for many years, it's made with powdered goats milk and formulated for goats, it is no longer as it used to be it is species specific, I have raised many kids on it and I have never had a problem, like any other feed for goats increases in amounts must be made slowly to not cause digestive problems.

You will have to share pictures when you get them, they must be so adorable.

I'm getting a Nigerian dwarf bottle baby, not sure if it's a boy or girl because they are due tomorrow !!! The mom goat has had triplets the last two years in a row. I want to use just a regular human baby bottle but I have a question, the nipples come in different flows slow,medium and fast , which one would be best ?also I'm not using milk replacer I'm using the whole milk formula.
Just try the nipples and see which works out the best. I would start with the medium flow. You are better off using milk rather than replacer for two reasons. One, while most kids will tolerate replacer, some won't and you won't find out which ones won't until it is too late. The second reason is that the very good replacers are expensive and cost just about as much as milk so there is really no advantage to using them.

Milk replacer are formulated for goats, if you are feeding goat milk than that is best, cow milk is for calves, it is lower in fat and doesn't have the correct nutrients, there's no reason any goat kid can't drink replacer and thrive on it, it costs about 50-75 dollars to raise a kid on replacer, well worth it to me.

Just try the nipples and see which works out the best. I would start with the medium flow. You are better off using milk rather than replacer for two reasons. One, while most kids will tolerate replacer, some won't and you won't find out which ones won't until it is too late. The second reason is that the very good replacers are expensive and cost just about as much as milk so there is really no advantage to using them.

I agree that simple whole cows milk beats powdered replacers. Sure, the milk is meant for calves originally. But too many kids scour and die on replacers that it isn't worth the risk. Perhaps people aren't mixing the replacer properly, too much or too little powder to whatever amount of water. There is no messing up the whole cow milk from the store, and they thrive on it.

I agree that simple whole cows milk beats powdered replacers. Sure, the milk is meant for calves originally. But too many kids scour and die on replacers that it isn't worth the risk. Perhaps people aren't mixing the replacer properly, too much or too little powder to whatever amount of water. There is no messing up the whole cow milk from the store, and they thrive on it.
I agree with you. Just a comment. I have, or know people that have, tried just about every replacer available. Quite frankly, I haven't noticed that kids do any better on the expensive replacers formulated especially for kids than they do on a premium replacer formulated for calves. And I have also had people tell me that they have never had any trouble with replacers. I tell them that is because they haven't raised enough kids. Some kids can tolerate replacers and some can't. Some that appear to tolerate the replacer may bloat suddenly and die without warning. You are right. It just isn't worth it.

I'm not sure why you keep bashing goat milk replacer, it is a great product, and you did say you haven't actually owned any goats for years but you keep talking about a product that has improved vastly over the last 5- 10 years, if you have never used a product I don't understand how you can have knowledge of it, except for your, I knew a person once stories. Goats can bloat and scour on cows milk just as easy, it's about having the knowledge to feed them properly.

I'm not sure why you keep bashing goat milk replacer, it is a great product, and you did say you haven't actually owned any goats for years but you keep talking about a product that has improved vastly over the last 5- 10 years, if you have never used a product I don't understand how you can have knowledge of it, except for your, I knew a person once stories. Goats can bloat and scour on cows milk just as easy, it's about having the knowledge to feed them properly.
Not bashing. Just saying it is not a good idea. And that is based on my personal observation of raising a lot of kids and the experiences of many other commercial breeders I know who had a lot bigger operations and raised a lot more kids than I did. The really good kid replacers cost about as much as milk, so there is no economic advantage in using them. You are far far less likely to see digestive problems in kids fed milk than you are in kids fed replacer. One dairyman found that if he fed half replacer and half milk the kids did much better than they did on straight replacer. He fed replacer when he was short of milk and he had to feed at least some replacer in order to ship his quota of milk. The hobby breeder doesn't have those issues.

If anyone wants a different opinion, let me know, I have a whole bunch of goats that survived and thrived being fed milk replacer.

Last edited:
If anyone wants a different opinion, let me know, I have a whole bunch of goats that survived and thrived being fed milk replacer.
Of course you do. A lot of kids do just fine on replacer. But some of them don't. Go with whatever works best for you and your animals. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Back
Top Bottom