feeding bread

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redstar, Oct 12, 2007.

1. redstar

redstar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2007
    central new york
    i gave them a half slice of bread they loved it, will it hurt them? how much can they have? i dont want to hurt them.[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My pullets get several entire loaves of day old bread just about every other day. They love it especially the whole grain breads with plenty of seeds in it.

3. tomdeggeater

tomdeggeater Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Rocky Hill, CT.
    MissPrissy, That brings a thought to mind. Many of these mega-markets give away their day old bread to soup kitchens, shelters, etc... And, they look for volunteers to sort and deliver.
    It might be possible to arrange volunteer-ism in exchange for a few loaves. Thereby benefiting the hungry people, the chickens, and one's own self esteem at the same time.
    I can't see any loser in a situation like that.
    (I'm sure the Father wouldn't mind at all, either.)
    TomD [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Tom, I do the USDA paper work for the food bank as a volunteer so I get some leftovers for my chickens and goats. [​IMG]

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I havent heard or seen anything to the contrary and my chooks love grainy bread, though I put water through it to make it easy to digest.
    They especially like it toasted then soggy.
    I tried my ducklings with small pieces but one piece nearly got stuck in throat so I havent tried it again.
    I get my day old bread for free and hate to waste it.
    Helen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by