Feeding bread

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Will feeding too much bread to a silkies poop thick and hard to come out?
I had to keep my silkie inside during the recent floods here. While inside I divided them up a honey roll left over from dinner. That was 2 nights ago.

Today I kept smelling poop. I picked her up and turned her over and noticed a BIG pop wad that wasnt even completely out but stuck all in her feathers. I turned my other one over and she has no spoiled feathers.

I don't really know. I suppose large amounts of bread might cause that. All I can say is, it must have been too much of a good thing!

It may have been from the sugar in the honeyroll. Too much sugar can give them diarrhea thus pastybutt. I give my chickens all the heals from our bread and have not had any problems. Good Luck

Thanks guys. I took another look again last night and yesterday (and im sorry if this word is a little too much but...) her bum was throbbing kinda. There is a liquidy poo leaking out. She runs around fine and seems like nothing is bothering her. I dont see worms in her poo..

Ill check on her again this afternoon..

Sometimes my chickens leak a bit when i pick them up and turn them over to check their vent. So i wouldn't be too worried. But in general, i have heard that you don't want to feed bread to your chickens on a regular basis. It doesn't have a lot of nutritional value and i have seen my hens struggle sometimes getting it down their throats, even small pieces.

Bread is actually not very good for birds. It will fill them up while giving them almost zero nutrition, and a lot of birds have trouble digesting it - I always assumed the digestion problem was the same with chickens so never risked giving it to my girls.

The heels from loaves of bread either go to my dog or my chickens, but I don't go out of my way to feed either of them any extra bread. The amount they get doesn't seem to hurt.

Also don't eat a PJ&J while gathering eggs - unless you want to share.

Bread has sugar in it. And a lot more then people think. Read the package.
If I every do feed my girls bread it would be home ground, home made whole wheat bread. I make it every day and we love it heals and all. Neither the dog, the fish, the birds or the chickens get my bread.
hit.gif

Chickens have a very simple taste sensory system unlike ours that have a high sense of taste. I hear people always saying "Put they love the stuff" Well they eat all kinds of stuff including glass. I wouldn't what my chickens ordering my dinner.
lau.gif

Also you can make your own bread crumbs from your leftover heals.

Back
Top Bottom