Feeding cabbage heads to chickens

buggie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
I have read of people tying up a head of cabbage for their chickens as a treat/boredom fighter. My concern is how do you tie it up so that they don't get caught up in it and get injured?

Some people use a rope or such to tie it up...some drill a hole through the core of it to put the rope through. That seems too hard for me...lol.

What I do is use one of those nylon fish stringers & poke the pointy metal thing through the core of the cabbage. Sometimes I have to bang it a little on something hard to get it to go all the way in. I leave it tied up out there & pull the rope & pointy thing up out of the way when there's no head of cabbage on it so that it's not just dangling down empty.

You can kinda file down the pointy metal thing to dull it some if you're worried they'll get poked with it. I did that on one of the cheaper short ones, but now I have one where the rope is a lot longer & stronger & the pointy metal thing is already pretty dull & a lot more sturdy than the cheap one.

I recently bought a head of cabbage to divide up between the flocks. I have very picky chickens and I didn't want to waste money on something they weren't going to eat.....they went NUTS. It was ALL gone in a matter of minutes!!! I just cut it in half and dropped it on the ground. They had a ball!

How much is too much?

Last edited:
i had some plastic tent pegs which it turns out are rubbish as tent pegs but great for the chook runs.

tied one up in each then just stab a cabbage onto the end, the spines that should grip the ground grip the cabbage perfectly.

sadly the chickens could care less and didnt touch it! it ended up in the compost in the end

Back
Top Bottom