Feeding CHICK STARTER

krazeepolack

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Randsburg, Ca-live ghost town
My chicks are now one day short of 6 weeks since hatch. (8-11-10) they are devouring the starter feed!! How long before I can start them on scratch & poutry feed?? They have almost gone through 50 pounds of starter in only a WEEK!!!

I read that if only starter & layer are available in your area, then feed them starter until a week or two before you expect the first egg. If you can get grower in your area, I'd say switch to that now, then switch to layer a week before the first egg.

If you are going to switch them off, I'd keep giving them medicated feed until 10 weeks or so.
After that, just make sure they are getting an appropriate, high protein diet and they should be fine.
Right now though, keep letting them eat it up!

Quote:
i prefer unmedicated ,but that is another thread.you can actually feed starter for the chicks/chickens entire life if you give free will oyster shell.starter has slightly higher protein.that is what i do to make up for the wide range of ages and a little extra protein is not going to hurt.

Quote:
i prefer unmedicated ,but that is another thread.you can actually feed starter for the chicks/chickens entire life if you give free will oyster shell.starter has slightly higher protein.that is what i do to make up for the wide range of ages and a little extra protein is not going to hurt.

Depends where you get your chicks I suppose. With mine, I went medicated immediately.
Chickens can survive off just about any of these foods, but starter isn't going to have the diversity of ingredients that a quality adult food is going to. There is more to the feed than just protein and calcium, so those shouldn't be the only considerations. Of course, everyone's flock can be different, so there isn't one "right" answer.
I recently switched to a custom breeder mix that has almost as much protein as generic brand store starter does -- hence why it has been recommended to use across all ages of birds.
Personally, the typical store brand chicken feed I have seen doesn't look near as good as some of the less commercial feeds and/or local custom mixes.

IMO starter until they are around 6 weeks old, and grower until they start laying (18+ weeks), then layer feed. Mine go through about 50 lbs in a month and 1 have 13. So I wouldn't see that your amount of feed is out of the ordinary. Do they get anything else, free range, vegetabel scraps? Also, I've heard if they don't have adequate grit, they can go through more feed. At 6 weeks I wouldn't think it's a problem, but it's a thought.

Back
Top Bottom