Feeding chicken question

Freyadog

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
I have 50 chickens of all sizes and 5 Guineas and was wondering just how much a day should they eat. They act as though they are always hungry. I do not want to over feed them nor do I want them to be hungry. so I was wondering if there is a formula so to speak to go by to make sure they are not hungry.

I have never heard of chickens being overfed before. I think they eat until they have had enough. (I have read cautions about feeding too many treats, because they will fill up on those and not necessarily get the necessary nutrition the 'boring' chicken food gives them.)

From all I've read here, the amount of food a chicken eats depends on breed, age, sex and possibly even time of year.

I would do my own experimenting for the amount of food that seems right for them - and make adjustments as needed. So if they seem hungry, give them more food. When there is some food left in their feeder, you know you have reached the amount that is right for them.

I've always kept food in the feeder all the time. They will eat what they need. It's recommended not to feed over 10% of their diet as treats so they get enough nutrition from their reg. feed.

thank you so much. Mine are free range and grain feed but the weather is changing and I didnt know exactly what to do.

Back
Top Bottom