1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding chickens and ducks housed together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chics in the sun, Mar 7, 2011.

1. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I know someone started a thread a few days ago about keeping chickens and ducks together, but I don't remember if it included information on feeding them. I am interested in housing chickens and Mandrins (possibly) in the same aviary (22 x 16 feet). Has anyone done this, and do they try to each eachothers food? The layer feed would have calcium in it, and I know the Mandrins only need it during laying season. I just want to make sure this is possible to do without harming either of the flocks.

2. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed my chickens and ducks (magpies) the same mix and never had a problem. the hens are healthy and laying every day.

3. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    i know nothing of keeping ducks and chickens togather so this should help me out (i am getting ducks soon)

4. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    My chickens and ducks (Saxony and Runners) and geese share a large run. I put out layer pellets that everyone eats. Egg laying seems good overall. I do throw whole corn to the waterfowl when I throw scratch to the chickens, but that really is the only thing I do different.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have been feeding my adult chickens and ducks the same feed for years with no problems. Baby chicks and ducklings are housed separately and they eat different feed.

1 person likes this.
  6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Same here. Ducks and chickens get same food, they are on layer feed, and I have free choice oyster shells and their own shells ground up, as they are all laying. The drake eats the layer feed as well, but he doesn't touch the calcium (shells). They get the same veggies and treats, they all LOVE mealworms, and the ducks also get corn kernels when the hens get scratch.

7. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Even the oranmentals that don't lay all year? How handy is that!!

8. mandyslot

mandyslot Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    can i ask what is scratch?

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Scratch is a mix of cracked corn and grains of some kind. Not a complete diet for water fowl, I think on my bag of scracth it say it should not be more than 10% of their diet.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well mine are not housed together BUT i feed them all the same, i use a flock raiser with oyster shell free choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by