feeding chickens bread

gapeachy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 21, 2008
Rome Ga
I feed my chickens laying crumbles mixed with scratch....also I feed them some bread everyday that I get from my bread store...they love it.....is bread a good thing to feed them??

not very good really, they do love it and it's a nice treat, but not a lot of good nutrition for them really.
hmm.png
It sure gets them running when you want them to come for goodies so you can catch them though!

With bread, it depends...I give mine an occasional heel (shredded) of multigrain (Ancient Grains or Prebiotic) and make sure they have some grit in it. Laying is good...but I don't think I'd give white bread and we don't have it in the house anyway...

Bread has quite a bit of starch in it...sort of like empty calories for humans. But, it's a nice treat occasionally.

Also, you really shouldn't feed scratch on a regular basis, either. Some folks feed a bit in the winter, as it does help warm them up a bit. But, as a rule, it should only be fed in small amounts and as a treat. Good luck with your chickens!!
smile.png

my chichs are 5 weeks old and the other i gave them bread for their first treat and they loved it now when they see it they loose it they just gobble it up

Back
Top Bottom