Feeding chickens cat food

Are you able to feed your chickens a well-balanced, complete feed formulated for chickens? If so, they should not need anything else. If they have the opportunity to peck and scratch on some natural forage such as grass and forbs, and hunt for bugs, for part of each day, that should provide them all the extra "treats" and any additional protein they may need. Cat food is for cats, which are mammals. Their nutritional needs are very different from what a bird needs. I mean I know chickens are kind of omnivores and will eat anything, up to and including carrion, but that is not what is optimal for them. My opinion. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The chickens at our house seem to just help themselves to the outdoor cat food. They hop up to where it is, and it's never caused them problems :confused: We're trying to get them to stop, but it doesn't seem to work, they just keep flying/hopping up to it
LOL... My Mom thought the baby chicks were cute so scattered kitten biscuits (I'm amazed they never choked!), now she's annoyed at the hens for "stealing" the food she brings our outdoor cats.

I wouldn't feed processed cat food to chickens. Cats are obligate carnivores and require taurine etc that other animals do not. The processed foods made for them are usually atrocious (I make raw and cooked food for mine). Rather let your chickens eat a nice range of healthier alternatives so you get eggcellent eggs with nice orange yolks and firm shells!

LOL... My Mom thought the baby chicks were cute so scattered kitten biscuits (I'm amazed they never choked!), now she's annoyed at the hens for "stealing" the food she brings our outdoor cats.

I wouldn't feed processed cat food to chickens. Cats are obligate carnivores and require taurine etc that other animals do not. The processed foods made for them are usually atrocious (I make raw and cooked food for mine). Rather let your chickens eat a nice range of healthier alternatives so you get eggcellent eggs with nice orange yolks and firm shells!

I agree - there's a reason it says 'not for human consumption' and it's pretty horrifying when you look into the pet food industry. The 'meat' that is used in pet food is not fit for the human food chain, so I wouldn't feed it to my flock whose eggs I eat.

but you don't mind chicken feed and mealworms in your eggs? 😬

Chicken feed can only contain products fit for the human food chain. Many cultures enjoy bugs as part of their staple diet so there's nothing wrong with bugs. Do some research into dog and cat food and you'll be horrified.

Back
Top Bottom