FEEDING CHICKENS GAME BIRD FEED

Linda49

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
My local feed store is recommending that we feed our chickens game bird feed instead of chicken feed. I presently have four 19 week old LF pullets and four 10 week old LF pullets. They said to feed them the game bird starter until they all start to lay, then switch to the game bird layer.

What are the pros and cons for doing this? Thanks for your help!

i dont know of any cons, but i would feed the 10 week old chicks chicken chick starter and the others chicken layer feed. you can also see what google says.

I would not feed them anything besides chick starter until they are 4 months old. It can damage their kidneys. So, your older birds are fine, but like btruegs mentioned, feed the 10 week olds chick starter.

Since you are raising them for eggs, I also would have them on layer feed & not game bird. Are they able to free range at all?

Last edited:
I would not feed them anything besides chick starter until they are 4 months old. It can damage their kidneys. So, your older birds are fine, but like btruegs mentioned, feed the 10 week olds chick starter.

Since you are raising them for eggs, I also would have them on layer feed & not game bird. Are they able to free range at all?

All the birds are in the same pen, so I was going to keep them on starter feed, with oyster shell on the side, until they all are laying, then switch to layer feed. Will the higher protein hurt them in any way? I was reading some posts that said the game bird feed made a difference in how good their birds looked....shinier feathers, etc. But I don't want to use it if it has any detrimental effects.

Back
Top Bottom