Feeding Chickens Pig Feed

Feed companies have done a lot of research about dietary requirements for various birds & animals. I'm sure poultry can survive on pig feed but I suspect feeding them food designed to meet their needs is abetter way to go.

I agree with that as well. However every feed company has a different mix. Accourding to my feed supplier what he sells are similar except a few of the vitamins. That is why I am trying to see if these vitamins are needed and how I can get them to the flock.

I am not trying to short my flock the nutrition that they need, just find a more economical way to feed. By feeding the pigs and chickens the same food and supplementing to get any missing vitamins I will safe significant $, while being able to buy in bulk and feed much fresher product.

Last edited:
Well, we decided to get piglets right before the ground froze. They had a temporary shelter, but they get BIG fast!!! So I googled if they could live with my chickens in the coop for the winter and I found it was okay. I feed them all together and everyone had been happy and laying and its cold here. So I would say go for it. But that is just my opinion. I know only what I googled.
tongue.png
ETA, if you really want to cut costs and still maintain healthyness, then why dont you feed them 1/2 layer and 1/2 swine feed??

Last edited:
Chiming in on this old post as my (new to me) feed store today highly recommended that I feed my quail and chickens their pig feed instead. They informed me that theirs is "just the same" as their chicken feed but at $3 less per 40k bag. It pays to be nice to the helpers at the feed stores; saved me $3 a month that I'll gladly spend on sunflower seeds, millet, watermelon, green cabbage, lettuce or what-have-you for irregular treats for my flock.

What if you’re growing Cornish cross chickens for meat? If there’s less emphasis on the need for calcium and other minerals, perhaps pig feed would be a good substitute?

Back
Top Bottom