1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding chickens spicy stuff

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brukkala, Nov 29, 2013.

1. brukkala

brukkala Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Does anyone here ever feed their chickens spicy food? Or what about chiles or just bell peppers? Just wondering if they like spicy stuff and whether it's safe for them.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think they really taste the spice. There are lots of threads on feeding cayenne to boost egg laying, and there was a thread somewhere recently about chickens not having the same heat receptors orally that humans do. I feed my birds bell peppers and Anaheim chilies all the time. I personally don't do the hot hot stuff, so don't have any to feed my birds.

3. brukkala

Nov 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Okay. I sometimes get too many chiles for stuff I'm cooking and just wondered whether my girls would like some as a treat. Now to see whether they'll eat them:) I just found out they love pork. Lol.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I tossed half a dozen bell peppers in the run yesterday. went out today and they've all vanished!

5. brukkala

Nov 16, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    So maybe my girls will eat the hot peppers up, seeds and all. Maybe they'll be spicy themselves and lay spicy eggs, lol:)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some folks swear by hot pepper as a dewormer and/or preventative, not sure I buy that concept.
    I've read that hot pepper in grain storage deters rodents.
    Hot pepper is lauded to solve lots of problems...not sure any of it is viable....but it does suggest that chickens can eat hot pepper with no detrimental effects.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    A few years ago I made fish feed for largemouth bass that carried worms vary similar to what we see in chickens. The feed was 10% cayenne pepper based on dry weight. The bass, just like chickens, have no problems consuming such and consumed just as much of that as they did the control diet. I did not see any impact on the worms harbored by the bass, More peppers might be effective but that must be demonstrated to be fact which I have not seen yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by