feeding chickens their own egg withdrawal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by travl4me1, Dec 7, 2012.

1. travl4me1

travl4me1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    I'm almost positive this has been addressed numerous times, but apparently I am not hitting the right Keywords.

Q. When you must withdrawal eggs from human consumption for the purpose of medications or worming and such, can you cook those eggs and feed them back to the flock during that time? or is its a total discard ?

Most of my questions are solved with a simple search, and thanks to those who contribute regularly.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. momma of a chicken lover

momma of a chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    My neighbor does this. When she worms, she cooks the eggs up and gives them to her dogs.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's best to discard eggs for the recommended withdrawal times. There's residue in the eggs which could possibly extend the withdrawal period. More importantly, the residue could help internal parasites build resistance to the wormer in time, rendering the wormer useless in time. Ivermectin comes to mind as an example. It has been overused in poultry as a miteacide rather than its primary purpose as a wormer.
    Giving the eggs to dogs is ok. But I recommend calling a vet first and finding out if the breed in question is susceptable to that particular wormer residue as some breeds are susceptable.

2 people like this.
  4. travl4me1

travl4me1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    good food for thought. many thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by