feeding chickens

Bonnie sue

Chirping
May 22, 2017
I have been told so many different things when feeding chickens I want to know if I can feed my chickens in cooked rice without it harming there bodies or not.. I get told my mom always gave it to them and others say no it has to be cooked so what is the right answered my experienced chicken families? yes or no does it harm them or help them? thanks guys for all your help.:thumbsup

White rice has very little food value. If they fill up on rice either cooked or raw, they will not fill up on the formulated feed that is designed to meet their nutritional needs. It won't harm them, either cooked or dry. Neither will it provide much of any benefit to them. Makes me wonder why I cook it and serve it in my kitchen? ;)

Don't feed them rice as the main food source. I would recommend Manna Pro layer/whole flock/other pellets depending on age. They are brilliant for my chickens. Oh, and remember to add grit and oyster shell.

Don't feed them rice as the main food source. I would recommend Manna Pro layer/whole flock/other pellets depending on age. They are brilliant for my chickens. Oh, and remember to add grit and oyster shell.
Any time I cook rice for them, I throw in a bunch veggies, maybe a diced up can of SPAM or other left over meat. Starch, greens and protein.

My hens love left over rice..especially egg fried!
I’ve never tried giving them uncooked rice ..just leftover so can’t say for sure if it’s harmful, I doubt nutrients are much difffernt from cooked to uncooked but I’d worry about the coating causing digestive problems and possible pesticides which may still be on that coating until it’s cooked if it isn’t organic ...
If we’re talking treat I think cooked rice is fine but as said by others I wouldn’t give it as a main food source as you’d have to add so much into it to make it a balanced diet for them...to complicated ..mine will stick to their occasional Saturday night takeaway treat :love

I thought you guys meant rice alone.
Mine aren't at laying age yet, so I also mix in their starter feed to create a mash so that they're still getting what they need. They also think that feed alone soaked in warm water is a treat.

They're not fond of cooked Lima beans or carrots, and they half-heartedly eat the kale my neighbor brings over from his garden, the same applies for scratch. They will eat collard greens and they absolutely go bonkers over spaghetti with some peas and string beans mixed in. I haven't tried any broccoli or cauliflower yet, but still testing their taste buds to see what they will eat. They're greedy to begin with LOL, and the stuff does get eaten.

I make sure they empty their two-day supply of feed first, then refill it, keeping that a priority, then if they put a good dent in that refill, I'll decide whether or not to reward them with a treat later on in the evening... it's not a guaranteed thing.

Maybe give them some cooked rice with some dried meal worms and feed mixed in, or make a wet mash out of their feed and mix some goodies in there. Something to break the monotony of pecking at dry crumbles and pellets but still getting their feed in one way or another.

Sorry for the essay. --BB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom