Feeding Chicks and Broody

While on the topic of chicks, I was wondering what you do with cockerels (do I even want to know?).

Do you want to, probably not. Do you need to have a plan, absolutely. My hatches are hardly ever 50-50. Most are more like 67-33, either sex could be the 67. I've had some worse than that. You probably won't know which are boys or girls until they are at least 5 weeks old, sometimes it takes longer.

One of my goals is to raise them for meat so I have an easy solution. Sounds like that might not be one of your goals.

Some people may kill them and feed them to their dogs. Or bury them somewhere. Some find animal rescue sites or zoos that will take them as food for their animals.

Some people keep the boys separated in bachelor pads, a coop and run dedicated to boys only, no girls for them to fight over. That can get expensive housing and feeding them, plus the extra work involved.

A very common solution is to sell or give the boys away. I don't know what country you are in so I don't know what is available to you. In the US Craigslist can help with this. Maybe your feed store will let you put something on a bulletin board. If you can fine your state or country chat thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section of this forum you can chat with your neighbors about that. You may find a social media chat thread in your area where it would be an appropriate topic. Something to remember, once you no longer own them you no longer control what happens to them. The more conditions you put on them the harder it can be to find someone to take them.

If you hatch many eggs you will get boys. It can help your stress levels a lot if you already know what you will do with them. It is an excellent question.

While on the topic of chicks, I was wondering what you do with cockerels (do I even want to know?).

Do you want to, probably not. Do you need to have a plan, absolutely. My hatches are hardly ever 50-50. Most are more like 67-33, either sex could be the 67. I've had some worse than that. You probably won't know which are boys or girls until they are at least 5 weeks old, sometimes it takes longer.

One of my goals is to raise them for meat so I have an easy solution. Sounds like that might not be one of your goals.

Some people may kill them and feed them to their dogs. Or bury them somewhere. Some find animal rescue sites or zoos that will take them as food for their animals.

Some people keep the boys separated in bachelor pads, a coop and run dedicated to boys only, no girls for them to fight over. That can get expensive housing and feeding them, plus the extra work involved.

A very common solution is to sell or give the boys away. I don't know what country you are in so I don't know what is available to you. In the US Craigslist can help with this. Maybe your feed store will let you put something on a bulletin board. If you can fine your state or country chat thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section of this forum you can chat with your neighbors about that. You may find a social media chat thread in your area where it would be an appropriate topic. Something to remember, once you no longer own them you no longer control what happens to them. The more conditions you put on them the harder it can be to find someone to take them.

If you hatch many eggs you will get boys. It can help your stress levels a lot if you already know what you will do with them. It is an excellent question.
Thank you!

To be blunt, eat them. My chickens are livestock.

I'm going to be getting a number of straight-run chicks this spring and I know in advance that I'll keep no more than 2 roosters.

*Maybe* when I'm selling excess pullets someone *could potentially* want a cockerel to go with them. That's a big maybe.

The extras will be delicious.

Back
Top Bottom