Feeding chicks grit

Okay I'm a little confused. So do I need grit or not? I saw that someone posted on Facebook that you should not use sand anywhere near your coop or run. That sand could be bad for them. I use sand in my coop for my girls to dirt bath in and I also use it inside the coop where my girls sleep. The sand absorbs the waster from them and I can clean it up with a kitty litter scooper. I have used hay and that seemed like a bigger mess. So what should I do....???

The Science Of Feeding Grit To Poultry
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/891051/the-science-of-feeding-grit-to-poultry
The little "Grit For Poultry" bibliography referenced in the above post is a particular treasure. It includes abstracts of every cite. Reading thru the abstracts is very revealing. It is keyword searchable. They explain types of grit, their proper uses. What not to use for grit and why. What sizes of grit to feed at what age and why. Use of grit in egg layers and broilers. Uses and misuses of grit, limestone, sand, oyster shell, cockle shell, etc. . Why the gizzard needs grit. The importance of the gizzard, its function and how its strength and health are tied to proper grit use. And much more. Once you read this small little book, you will never think of grit as "just any pebble" again. Try Page 48 for starters.
Best Success,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote: I had this same question and thought I would post so others can see it at the top of the thread. I have seen others asking the same questions that have been answered here.

Our chick are now approx 3 or 4 days old and we are feeding them Start and grow from Purina. I was wondering if i should wait until the chicks are introduced to the outside at around 4 weeks before we give them grit of any sort.? On another note these little ladies are really enjoyable to watch. They are very fast and high energy. We already lost one. We ordered our chicks from Murry McMurry hatchery. They have recieved two vaccines. I was thinking that i would use dirt/sand and ground up oyster shells.

I just bought chic grit..i followed the direction and set a bowl of grit by feed..they ate the whole bowl..im worried did they injest too much grit? I do give treats mealworms..watermelon ..raw oats

I just bought chic grit..i followed the direction and set a bowl of grit by feed..they ate the whole bowl..im worried did they injest too much grit? I do give treats mealworms..watermelon ..raw oats

The first offering has to load empty gizzards. After that, they consume only to replace so the dish will empty much more slowly. I remember being alarmed the first time I saw that, too.

Back
Top Bottom