Feeding chicks

SA gardener

Songster
May 23, 2020
Johannesburg, South Africa
What should I feed 24 hour old chicks ? I found "broiler starter" at a local pet shop and I bought it because they had nothing else for chicks. Can I feed them it ? I'm raising some Australorps from my broody hen and some "Potchefstroom Koekoek" chicks are scheduled to arrive soon

What should I feed 24 hour old chicks ? I found "broiler starter" at a local pet shop and I bought it because they had nothing else for chicks. Can I feed them it ? I'm raising some Australorps from my broody hen and some "Potchefstroom Koekoek" chicks are scheduled to arrive soon
They love worms because they can grow by eating worm or some bird seeds (they love bird seeds)

WHAT TO FEED BABY CHICKS:
Make sure you have already purchased chick food (my little ladies get the organic chick starter crumble) as well as a feeder.

Keep in mind that once they hatch and are shipped off, they’re basically living off the reserves they’re born with and arrive thirsty, hungry, and oh so sleepy. The cuteness! I can’t handle the cuteness!

No , they are to be layers - Australorps
Oh ok then I would get them regular chick starter. I believe that the broiler starter has too many calories since broilers are
Meant to fatten up quickly so they can be processed for their meat. That and clean water... you can put electrolytes in the water, but typically shouldn’t need additional probiotics since it’s usually in the feed. You should add chick grit on the side once they start foraging / eating treats.

Broiler starter has higher protein, sometimes up to 24%. It isn’t ideal for chicks intended for laying to have that much, but if that’s all that was available, it’s suitable to feed them. Chicks intended for laying should have 18-20% protein feed in the first 8 weeks of life, and then 16-18% from 8-20 weeks, or until they start laying. Broiler chicks are programmed to eat all the time. They have an amazing calorie conversion ratio. Your laying chicks will not end up like big fat meat birds if they eat the feed for broilers.

I’ve been using broiler feed at 20% protein to feed my adult laying flock (which also has pullets, chicks, and roosters in it) since March. I provide free-choice calcium in the form of oyster shells and egg shells in a separate feeding bowl for the laying hens. They are all fine!

Edited to add: I’m feeding the same feed to my actual broiler chickens and can assure you they are humongous. I actually have chicks that are eight days older than the broilers, and they are still tiny (eight weeks old) where some of the broilers are bigger than my laying hens. They’ve all been eating the same feed.

Last edited:
And about the material they running on, is bare soil okay ? or should I use pine shavings. I don't have pine shavings at the moment but I can easily make with a hand planer . I am afraid they might eat it or the finer particles .
Alternatively could I put them in a "chicken tractor" on my lawn?

Back
Top Bottom