feeding different age chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chris deiss, Aug 21, 2010.

1. chris deiss

chris deiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    omro , wi
    Hi my names chris just had a question about feed. I have 4 12 week old pullets and 11 3 week old chicks. They are being kept seperate until they are closer in size but when I put them together the older ones will be on laying feed and the little ones on chick feed. Can I just keep them all on chick feed and give them an oyster shell subsidy ?

2. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    That's a really good question. I have not had to deal with that yet, but it will be an issue soon. Interested to see what a good solution would be.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If I were you, I'd give them all chick feed, then once the older ones reach around 18-21 weeks, you can either add oyster shell or switch to hen feed. It is fine if a young pullet, such as at the age of 11 weeks, is given layer feed - The only worries would be giving a young cockerel layer feed.

Honestly though I'd do the Oyster shell thing at 19 weeks for the older ones. I like giving my chicks a good amount of protein until they begin laying. I've had a group of pullets eating hen feed at 8 weeks and older, and a group eating chick feed until 17 weeks, then switching to hen feed. The group with a heavy chick feed diet actually matured better.

4. OliviaDeHav

OliviaDeHav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    We are having this issue also.... We've mixed it togehter.... chick feed with layer feed. I've been wondering if this will work ok....

5. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

we use starter and give oyster shell free will and it works out great.we have chickens ranging from day old to 2 years old.the little ones wont eat the shell and the older ones take what that want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by