feeding dried egg shells back

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lisamr, Feb 22, 2009.

1. lisamr

lisamr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I need any info on feeding them back the dried egg shells i can get. Is is good for them? How do I prepare them? Do they still need oyster shell? Bad? Good?

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    If they're fresh just smash them up and throw them back. If not, bake at 350 for 10 min.to dry them out and smash them and put in feed. Sometimes, I use a coffee grinder for the dry ones. It's good for them.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Perfect just like above. and no you will not need to feed Oyster shells anymore.

AL

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Unless your feeding lots of egg shells I'd still leave oyster shell out. It's cheap and you can make sure they have calcium 24/7 for whenever they feel they need it. I don't bother baking my egg shells. I just throw them in a bowl as I crack eggs. When the bowl is full and the last eggs have dried a little while I smash them all up into pieces and throw them to the chickens.

5. noriko

noriko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    N E Pennsylvania
    I give my chickens egg shells too. But I usually mix with their foods....more like with their treat! Mix with Yogurt, Banana, Oatmeal, anything they like. They eat more egg shells with this way. And I'm still giving them Oyster shells too. [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I do that. I rinse the egg shells then microwave them for about 2 or 3 min. It makes the shells very easy to crush up into little pieces, and kills any bacteria.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I toss the shells in a bucket on the counter- and when I remember, I whack them into smaller pieces and throw the out with a bit of scratch and/or vegetable peelings. No drying at all. I've been doing it for 16 years, and have never had a problem.

You really don't need to get fancy with them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

We've been hardboiling a couple dozen eggs per week for the chickens... keep in a ziplock bag and just smash on demand for them...

egg shells like from what we eat I put in the compost pile... didn't think you would need to prepare them for the chickens... but not sure on that.

9. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    I just toss my used egg shells into the treat bucket and the next time I take treats out, out go the shells. I don't bother doing anything else to them. The chickens never had a problem taking them out of the compost pile as is.[​IMG]

10. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I put them in the microwave to kill any bacteria, then put them in my chopper and mix in with their veggie treats..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by