Feeding ducklings?

Quote:
lau.gif
Who says animals don't have higher thinking powers? They sure figured that one out.
lol.png

You're right - we found that out the hard way with DBF's runners. While he was cleaning their brooder today, we let them have their first swim. They were so dirty but they had so much fun. Took them a while but they figured it out. OH - and I have a pip on my duck eggs!!! I won't get any sleep tonight.

Brickman, thanks for the tips. I'll upgrade to larger containers than originally planned or depending on how many out of the 10 hatch, I'll split them into two brooders.

Here's a pic of the runners though - have to share:

4435_runners_first_swim.jpg

I'll do that - thanks!!! Wasn't sure how deep to make it. I'd read just a couple inches so they don't drown. Had to change the water 4 times because it got dirty FAST and they kept eating it EWWW.

I have a pip on one of my duck eggs; broke the shell but not the membrane. Should I panic yet? Not sure how long it's been like that because I've been gone since 3 and just got home.

when can you feed baby ducks cracked corn. its real small kernels. Will they need grit like chicks? How soon can they get in a shallow tub of water? mine are 5 days old now.

You should probably wait to feed them corn until they are bigger. When they are babies they need a lot of protein, something that corn is lacking. And they do need grit like chickens, they are birds after all.

One thing I can tell you for the water, Cindy, is that you need to make a waterer out of a milk jug. Cut a hole in the side just big enough for them to get their head in there, and fill the water up to just below the opening.

THEY WILL NOT MAKE A MESS

Another thing I did with mine, when I had 4, then 7, babies in a brooder, was to use the base of a waterer for their food. I would take a small cup of water and stand it up in the middle of the water base, then put the feed around it in the base. You would probably need to have a couple set-ups like this since you aren't home all the time, but they don't make a mess this way either. All the water they splash out goes into their feed
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I'll definitely do that Shelley!!! IF they ever hatch! The one from this morning is still there and well but not doing anything more. Three others have pips but that's it. Back to work tomorrow and you know darn well that's when they'll hatch
hit.gif

Quote:
I added more to my post
smile.png
But you know they will wait until you aren't there to watch them. They are all slimy and gross when they come out, they want you to see them all fluffy and cute
gig.gif

Do ducklings need free access to their feed & water day & night? Do you think it's ok if I take my ducklings' feed/water out at night, so I can give them nice dry hay to sleep in? They're 8 days old.

Back
Top Bottom