Feeding ducks and geese--what do I use

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Heather J, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    For the past year i've been feeding all of my birds (ducks, geese, chickens) scratch because they free range some, and I can't get any water bird rations locally. Is there something else I should be feeding my ducks and geese? I think I'm going to switch the chickens to a flock raiser feed that everyone will eat, but I'm not sure about feeding that to my water birds...I might be able to find something else at a bigger store when i go to the city. Any suggestions?

2. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    I use Purina Flockraiser for all my birds (chickens, ducks, geese) with no problems. It's great b/c it really cuts down on the confusion!

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Mine are in with mini horses and like their sweet feed!

They also love dog and cat food!

Otherwise I use meat bird feed for them..

4. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i'm supposed to feed them? hahaha mine free range and they get some sweet feed sometimes. i haven't actually fed mine since they were big enough to be on their own. i let them in the goat pen to clean up after their mess sometimes too and if we throw scraps out they will sometimes get those. before they could free range i fed an all purpose poultry feed.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Flock Raiser works well. Also, during the winter give them some whole corn to the geese, and cracked corn to the ducks. during the spring when they lay, add some layer pellets, and calcium chips to the food.

6. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I actually also add some dried kelp to their rations (about 10%). I buy it from Brice Wonders and give it to my call ducks and all of my geese. I also just started to feed them the Mazuri waterfowl feed. Too new to report any results on the Mazuri, but a breeder told me about it and her geese are gorgeous.

7. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Thanks everyone. For now I'll have to stick with scratch, since my local feed store is tiny and very limited. I plan to look around when I head to the city (everywhere is the city when you've only got 2300 in your hometown--and it's the biggest thing an hour in each direction.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by