Feeding feeder bugs...

Spydrworks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 18, 2007
So. California
I have access to crickets, mealworms, waxworms, silkworms, fruit flies (wingless too), blackworms, earthworms, etc. Is there a limit to the amount of meat protein to feed to a chicken? Insects are high in protein and having commercially available bugs can help during the colder months when all the wild bugs are gone. I'm looking for a healthy ration to go by.

Thanks.

This is a great quesiton. I can't wait to see what people have to say about it.

I'm thinking of growing some mealworms and redworms myself to feed to my chickens occassionally. The extra protein in the winter might be a good thing!

Im not sure what ration you might use....but I would say...it depends on how many hens you have. Say...if you have 10 large hens....you might offer them 2 cups of "bugs" twice a week? Not an expert here, but thats what I would do. Just watch them....they will tell ya if they are getting too many "treats" they wont eat thier feed. If thats the case, back off of the treats a little. they need the feed more.

There's only one hen until my new arrival in July...I'll have two. Right now I've been giving her a teaspoon of mini mealworms a few times a week mixed in with her fresh greens. She loves them.

What I want to avoid is feeding too much protein or something perhaps she shouldn't have or if there's any special precautions, such as...

I know with large mealworms being fed to lizards, it's best to cut their heads off first (they've been known to eat through stomachs if swallowed whole). I also know the outer shells of large mealworms can cause impacted stomachs in reptiles if fed too much at once. I usually wait till the worms shed or sometimes I'll let them pupate and feed out the soft shelled grubs.

My chickens love earthworms. Sometimes I will move a log or rock, etc. and underneath there will be many earthworms. My silkies love them!!
love.gif
I move a rock or log, you know, like once a week so they can have the worms. I move the rock or log to another part of their pen/run and keep that there 'till next week then I move it again. Just remember earthworms are in dark, damp places. That is why they are usually under something. and also why you will usually find them all over the place after it rains.

Back
Top Bottom