Chef JimmyJ

Songster
5 Years
Oct 17, 2015
The Mountains of EMPORIUM, PA
I have been reading threads on BYC, watching Fodder Growing videos on YouTube and reading assorted Blogs. There is a ton of info on Growing Fodder, Building manual and automatic watering racks, how long to grow, how hot, how much light, and types of seed to use. Most videos just show folks tossing an entire finished mat in the Run or Handfuls of fodder to their Chickens. But there is very little on the weight of that tray of Fodder or how much each bird should get.
I would like to know, The weight of Mixed Seed, per bird, to load in each container to give a days ration of Fodder? Thanks...JJ

I could not find any Search Function at Pampered chicken momma. I'm still working through the posts here, some have THOUSANDS of responses, but nothing definitive yet, as in, " Use X Ounces seed per Chicken..." There are lots of responses with, " I Fill the bottom of the tray to, .5", 1", .75"..." And, " I feed One Tray per day to the, 5,10, 12, 2 Dozen, chickens I have..." But the size of the Tray is often left out. The search continues, thanks...JJ

When feeding fodder to chickens, layers and the rest..... can you do away with commercial feeds and scratch blends? Still doing oyster shell and free ranging......

Fodder is not unlike the birds Free Ranging and eating Grass. Is Grass Nutritionally complete? Nope. So the birds still need their Feed to provide what Wheat, Barley or other grain Fodder lacks. My plan is to only supplement their regular Feed, with Fodder from November to March, the Months in PA, there is little to no Grass. That should provide the extra, Beta-Carotene to keep the Egg Yolks looking and tasting great...JJ

I have been reading threads on BYC, watching Fodder Growing videos on YouTube and reading assorted Blogs. There is a ton of info on Growing Fodder, Building manual and automatic watering racks, how long to grow, how hot, how much light, and types of seed to use. Most videos just show folks tossing an entire finished mat in the Run or Handfuls of fodder to their Chickens. But there is very little on the weight of that tray of Fodder or how much each bird should get.
I would like to know, The weight of Mixed Seed, per bird, to load in each container to give a days ration of Fodder? Thanks...JJ
Hello Chef JimmyJ:
I found your post while looking for the same information you were in search of a couple of years back. I am setting up my system and I'd like to know how much seed per tray I'm looking at for 15 or 30 birds ( currently at 15 but going to try to raise chicks in the Spring) . Did you ever get an idea of what this should be? I'm going to post the question in General but as you were in pursuit of the same info I thought I'd ask you. Thanks if you can help!

Back
Top Bottom