Growing wheatgrass fodder indoors -- sharing my method

Happy Novogens

formerly Gimpy Quail
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
outskirts of Phx, AZ
For those interested in growing their own fodder, just thought I'd share how I'm doing it. Before I started, I spent much time seeing (on internet) how others grow fodder and then gleaned info from there. There is a great thread on this forum about growing fodder here (that I read before starting).

I opted to go with the method that starts with sprouting the seeds in wide-mouth mason jars. In the first jar, seeds are soaked for 10-12 hours (from morning til evening). The other jars hold days 1 and 2 of sprouting. (This photo was taken in evening after I drained the soaked seeds in the 1st jar. In the daytime, that jar is upright as the seeds soak.)

Each morning and each evening, I rinse and drain the jars with water.
20230619_084828.jpg

20230612_091813.jpg

On day 3, the third jar gets the sprouts moved from the jar (photo above) to the tray (photo below).

20230620_114002.jpg

Here is the shelf unit I use. Pardon the plastic sheet surrounding it. That keeps my cat out, lol.
This shows the growth from days 3 through 7 -- from bottom to top. The trays were from a Dollar Store (as was the dishpan at the bottom).

20230619_084937.jpg

The white shelf unit is from Amazon. Each shelf has a lip around it. That lip allows each tray to angle slightly by having one end up on the lip. This slope allows the water to run down each tray and out the holes drilled at the end of each tray. The video below shows this in action.

I originally used some pvc pipe on one end of each shelf to make the trays slope at a steeper incline. I found that too steep of a slope made the water run through the trays too quickly. This caused the grass to grow mostly on just the lower side of each tray and just barely on the higher side. By decreasing the incline, that problem was solved.

The tower gets watered each morning and each evening (same time I'm rinsing the sprout jars).

I plan to grow the fodder indoors year-round. It is too hot here to grow it outdoors in summer and it would attract flies. For me, it is most convenient to grow indoors where a sink is close at hand for rinsing and watering.

I dump the dishpan of water after each use which eliminates the odor that those recycling it with a pump have to deal with. Usually I dump it on my potted patio plants.

And I would be remiss if I did not include a photo of the flock getting their first taste of the new fodder...

Screenshot_20230619-082116_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I dig your adaptations! Where do you suggest I find seed for fodder? Any suggestions on which crop/s to grow?
Thanks! I found seed on Amazon but I'd love to know where to get some in bulk. So far I haven't found it anywhere else (at least not for reasonable price).

I've only tried this wheatgrass, but others suggest barley, oats, rye, alfalfa, peas, clover. The key is finding seed without pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.

After a quick dig I found Hancock Seed Company. They offer some of the suggested crops.

Barley from Hancock
currently "on-sale":
5# 18.99
10# 29.99

Hancock's Happy Hen Mix
Includes (based on seasonal availability):
  • Brown Top Millet
  • Annual Ryegrass
  • Hancock's Turf Type Tall Fescue
  • Oats/Rye Mixture
  • Buckwheat
  • Dwarf Essex Rape
  • Purple Top Turnips
  • Peredovik Sunflowers
  • Grazing Peas
  • Crimson Clover
Currently on sale:
5# 29.99
10# 49.99

I don't have a clue how they do their shipping prices(*EDIT* I missed it but its posted as free!), but how do those prices stack up to what you've found on amazon? I'm not sure where something like this becomes impractical to store.

They also state on their website that the seeds are "untreated and non-GMO"

Last edited:
After a quick dig I found Hancock Seed Company. They offer some of the suggested crops.

Barley from Hancock
currently "on-sale":
5# 18.99
10# 29.99

Hancock's Happy Hen Mix
  • Brown Top Millet
  • Annual Ryegrass
  • Oats/Rye Mixture
  • Buckwheat
  • Dwarf Essex Rape
  • Purple Top Turnips
  • Peredovik Sunflowers
  • Grazing Peas
  • Crimson Clover
Currently on sale:
5# 29.99
10# 49.99

I don't have a clue how they do their shipping prices(*EDIT* I missed it but its posted as free!), but how do those prices stack up to what you've found on amazon? I'm not sure where something like this becomes impractical to store.

I'm brand new to chickens, but I've used Hancock seed for cover crop seed (like daikon radish, clover, and buckwheat) because they have great prices and free shipping on most sizes. Eventually, I'd love to find a few more chicken owners very local to me and explore what it would look like to buy some of the bulk sizes and split the shipping...

Barley from Hancock
currently "on-sale":
5# 18.99
10# 29.99

Hancock's Happy Hen Mix
  • Brown Top Millet
  • Annual Ryegrass
  • Oats/Rye Mixture
  • Buckwheat
  • Dwarf Essex Rape
  • Purple Top Turnips
  • Peredovik Sunflowers
  • Grazing Peas
  • Crimson Clover
Currently on sale:
5# 29.99
10# 49.99

I believe I saw that happy hen mix. $30 for just 5 lbs seems outrageous to me. Maybe it's because I'm remembering old prices of 50 lb bags of grass seed at that price. :old

The wheat grass on Amazon was comparable to that Hancock Barley sale price. I still think those prices are higher than they should be.

I'm planning on tracking just how long the 5 lb bag lasts. Then I can better assess value.

So what I've calculated so far: the 5 lb of seed, using 2/3 cup per day, produces 16 days worth of fodder. (That's counting actual days of feeding, not the week it takes to get the first batch ready to feed.)

With my second bag of feed, I'm reducing to 1/2 cup per day since they seem to leave a small portion uneaten at the 2/3 c. amount. That should stretch it from 16 to 22 days of feeding.

At that adjusted portion, the fodder cost works out to $22.50 per month for my 9 chickens. That's about the same cost as their 50 lb bag of pelleted feed that also lasts about a month (when feeding exclusively feed).

What I haven't determined yet, is if they are eating fewer pellets now that they're being fed the fodder. Once their current 50lb bag is finished, I can calculate that and see if they are eating less pelleted feed.

They certainly seem to enjoy it. If cost ends up being higher (considering pellet consumption), I'll really need to get creative and see if I can find good seed at a lesser cost.

So what I've calculated so far: the 5 lb of seed, using 2/3 cup per day, produces 16 days worth of fodder. (That's counting actual days of feeding, not the week it takes to get the first batch ready to feed.)

With my second bag of feed, I'm reducing to 1/2 cup per day since they seem to leave a small portion uneaten at the 2/3 c. amount. That should stretch it from 16 to 22 days of feeding.

At that adjusted portion, the fodder cost works out to $22.50 per month for my 9 chickens. That's about the same cost as their 50 lb bag of pelleted feed that also lasts about a month (when feeding exclusively feed).

What I haven't determined yet, is if they are eating fewer pellets now that they're being fed the fodder. Once their current 50lb bag is finished, I can calculate that and see if they are eating less pelleted feed.

They certainly seem to enjoy it. If cost ends up being higher (considering pellet consumption), I'll really need to get creative and see if I can find good seed at a lesser cost.
I'm enjoying your experiment/process/analysis. Another possibility to throw out there: my local Blue Seal feed store carries 50lb bags of whole wheat seed for something like $20 (I forget exactly what he said over the phone); they also have (or can get) whole oats. Worth a call to your local feed store to see what they carry - or can order!

Back
Top Bottom