Feeding Frenzy!!

nomoq

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Elk Grove CA
My wife and I just had an awesome moment of laughing our heads off....We just fed our five to six week old girls, (still in the brooder) baby crickets for the first time. THEY WENT NUTS!!!
They were very nervous at first, but soon warmed up to them...Then it was on! One would pick up a cricket, and run around (like a chicken with its...nevermind) with the others chasing her. It was SO funny!
We eventually started feeding them baby crickets by hand.
This was our highlight so far of our chick raising experience...

smile.png

Jim

I love the chase.. and the sound that they make when they're running with the goodie.. how can any one watch that and not smile.... I dont think that can be done.. you have to smile and laugh... I havent given my girls crickets but I bet they would love them they love garden spiders..

bb )O(
Pink

Get mealworms! Pet places have them but it is cheaper to buy online. Give them one and sit back for chick football!!! Found ordering worms is easier than trying to catch crickets
lau.gif

Yes mine go nuts for crickets. I get them from the bait shop 50 for 1.25 and throw all 50 in at once. I have to laugh at the smart versus silly chickens. 7 will chase the one with a cricket screaming don't steal my cricket (chicken football). While a few that are just a bit smarter will sit still and gobble up the other 49 crickets jumping around. LOL>

Bringin em crickets is just as much a treat for my kids as it is for the birds!!! and no, my kids dont eat em, they love to watch the chickens go BONKERS!
lol.png

We went to the pet shop and bought a few dozen crickets for our girls.....BEYOND entertaining! And they enjoyed the crickets more than I could possibly imagine. I went a couple days ago and bought a box of 1000 for $20. Best money I have spent. They are soooo funny to watch run around and chase the crickets. One gets one and the chase is on....we laugh our butts off. We are doing the mealworm thing...trying to breed them. I think the crickets will be great in the summer months and the mealworms will be good in the winter. I adore watching them. I spend a great deal of time out there. Enjoy!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom