Feeding Fruit to Hens & A Feather Question

Rose66

Songster
9 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
I read somewhere??? that if you give fruit to hens it will make them stop laying eggs for up to six weeks. Anyone ever heard of this or know if it's correct? Also with the feathered legged breeds, does it hurt the chicken when a leg feather breaks off or is pulled out just by the day to day scratching around?

I feed all my birds table scraps, havent had any issues yet. I get stuff out of the dumpsters from the groceries stores, cakes, pies, breads, meat, veggies.............you name it..........i feed it all to my birds, they love it, it helps on the feed bill and havent had any issues yet.

Hi, Rose. There is a pear tree inside the run my chickens and ducks use. They LOVE the windfall pears, and gobble them up like crazy during the summer. It has not stopped them from laying, it has not slowed them down. They also love other fruits like strawberries, grapes, blueberries, peaches, etc. It wouldn't be good to feed them this type of food exclusively b/c they wouldn't be getting enough protein, but for treats, yes, they love it! RE the feather legged breeds, chickens grow & shed feathers just like humans grow & shed hairs. If a feather breaks off while in the formative process before the blood supply dries up, yes it would hurt and bleed, but if it grows, dries, and becomes pushed out by a new incoming feather, it would not hurt or bleed.

Back
Top Bottom