Feeding geese in winter

By the way a good way to get a goose to try a new food is to soak it in enough water to make a soupy mash, it encourages them to play in it and gets them used to the taste.

A milk crate wired up to the fence works fine as a hay rack. You can pick up hay bags for $2-3 but I figured mine would hang themselves in it.
Mine love butternut but so do I so I'm not too eager to share. Mine love mango (probably the #1 even over lettuce) grapes, berries... I used to volunteer at a food bank and would pick through the pig bins. I swear the chickens and geese knew food bank day and would meet me at the car when I got home.

Thanks so much everyone.. I’ve have been feeding nutrena for the last few months, it was what I could get at the store. I love Purina duck pellets but it’s so rarely in stock I switched to nutrena. Getting it on line is not cii ohs effective as the shipping is outrageous. The geese hatched in June and have been raised with my meat ducks (mallards that I hatched this spring) at one point with 16 ducks snd 2 geese I was going through 50 lbs of feed every two ans a half weeks.. I always saw the geese in the food bowl eating but they aren’t now.. I work at a grocery store a d had access to the not good enough to sell veggies, so I’m going to try that to see if they will eat it. As well as hay..

I did fodder for mine last year and when things were all covered in snow they loved it but when dirt was visible the did allot of rooting. This year we had a severe drought so I raised it for them this summer and they wasted most of it and just wanted grain and Purina duck pellets. Then I read how geese love sprouts. So I gave them the grain on day 4 of sprouting for fodder they ate like ducks cleaning there bowls and looking for more. So now I have a 4 bucket system. 3-1/2 gallon pails with holes drilled in the bottom the set in 5 gallon buckets. for soaking and draining. takes 5 min 2 times a day. I sprout oats wheat and barley then every few days add black oil seeds in the mix and before I feed a sprinkle of brewers yeast then throw a few duck pellets in in the afternoon. Sometimes I will throw whole grain in there pond the love digging it out of the water. Also a little grass hay in the pond helps them get a little roughage. For a hay feeder in there inside night pen I cut slots in a 40 gallon trash can I can fluff 1/2 a bail in it and forget about it for a month the hay they dont eat I use in there nesting boxes.. Then another trash can with Alfalfa hay. they pick through it wanting just the little leave crumbles.
One thing i can tell you about my geese next year they will decide they like something completely different. And it seems if you can get one to eat it they all want it.
By the way Im in Colorado where it can be 70 degrees one day and a full 2 foot blizzard the next. So they do get shallow pond time quite a bit year round.

Back
Top Bottom